When is the Gathering taking place?
The Gleeson Clan Gathering 2016 runs from Friday 19th August 2016 to Wednesday 24th August. See our Programme of Events for the daily schedule of activities.
Where is it taking place?
The Gathering is taking place in and around Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, Ireland. This is about a 2 hour drive from Dublin Airport and a 1 hour drive from Shannon Airport.
It will initially be centred in Nenagh for the Friday & Saturday events (in the Scouts' Hall, Ashe Rd), but on Sunday we will move down to the Silvermines area, and on Monday there will be a day trip to Thurles, Holycross Abbey, & the Rock of Cashel. Tuesday will be a day to get involved in a variety of activities in Nenagh and neighbouring areas, including a boat trip on the River Shannon. And Wednesday is a special Study Day in Thurles County Library for those interested in doing some genealogical research.
Click here for a Google Map with markers of all the locations for the various activities & events on the Programme.
|Map showing location of activities|
Click to enlarge
or click here for same map on Google
How do I get there?
If you are travelling from abroad, a variety of airlines fly into Dublin or Shannon. Check out websites like Expedia or Lastminute for the best deals on air fares. Below are some examples of prices via these websites (as of Jan 2016; from Lastminute):
- London to Shannon ... £108 = 143 euro
- London to Dublin ... £48 = 64 euro
- New York to Shannon ... £632 = US$ 910
- New York to Dublin ... £568 = US$ 820
- Toronto to Shannon ... £483 = CA$ 1000
- Toronto to Dublin ... £457 = CA$ 950
- Sydney to Shannon ... £990 = AU$ 2500
- Sydney to Dublin ... £790 = AU$ 1650
- Auckland to Shannon ... £1134 = NZ$ 2523
- Auckland to Dublin ... £982 = NZ$ 2185
If you are driving, travelling to Nenagh from Shannon Airport takes about an hour and from Dublin Airport takes about 2 hours. Various car hire companies operate at both airports and you can either arrange car rental when buying your airline ticket, or you can try the following websites:
There are also frequent bus & train services that will take you to Nenagh. For example, a bus from either Shannon or Dublin Airport to Nenagh leaves every 2 hours or so during the day and costs about 20 euro. Trains are less frequent (about 3 per day from Dublin to Nenagh), cost about 10 euro one way, and you would need to travel into Dublin city first (Heuston Station) so it may work out a little more expensive and less convenient than the bus / coach. You can find general information, timetables, and how to book your tickets on the following websites:
Where do I stay?
BREAKING NEWS - LAST MINUTE ACCOMMODATION AVAILABILITY
- I am posting up-to-date developments in Accommodation availability below and also on the Gleeson Genealogy Facebook page here ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/323157397883158/permalink/485525438313019/
- Here are the latest updates
- 19 July - Shannon Breeze B&B in Ballina currently has 3 rooms available - contact Phyll or Noel Bugler +353 87 280 7655 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 20 July - There is also a lady renting 1-2 rooms in Nenagh town centre - email her at email@example.com
- 24 July - There are 2x 5-bedroom houses available at the Abbey Court hotel! Phone them now to book +353 (0)67 41111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Aug - Hill view B &B has 1 twin and 1 double room available on Saturday the 20th. http://www.silverminesbb.com/ or email@example.com
- 4 Aug - There is a spare room reserved at the Bayly Farm B & B Aug 20-24 @ 60 Euro / day, which is no longer needed. It is only 4 miles away from Nenagh. Anyone is welcome to take it. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly or call the owner Desmond Bayly @ 011-353-673-1499.
- 4 Aug - Agnes Egan has a self contained granny flat which sleeps 4-5 people (2 bedrooms) available for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday night of the Gleeson Gathering. Details: Agnes Egan (085) 1066026 – Capparoe area just a few miles outside Nenagh.
The Abbey Court Hotel in Nenagh is very reasonably priced (double-room 99 euro, single room 89 euro, breakfast included) and only a 10 minute walk from the Scouts' Hall. However it is very busy during the summer months and is now fully booked for Friday 19th & Saturday 20th.
The Abbey Court Hotel is also holding some self-catering accommodation from Aug 19th as detailed below. Again, mention the Gleeson Clan Gathering when you book. Prices include heat & electricity, free car park, and complimentary use of their Leisure centre. You can also avail of breakfast and dinner in their restaurant should you wish (see sample menu here):
- One 3-Bed Holiday Home (Sleeps up to 6 people 2 rooms have a double bed in each room and one room would have 2 single beds)-2 Nights - €329.00-3 Nights - €399.00-4 Nights - €449.00-5 Nights - €509.00
- Four 5-Bed Holiday Homes (Sleeps up to 10 people 4 rooms have a double bed in each room and one room would have 2 single beds)-2 Nights - €429.00-3 Nights - €539.00-4 Nights - €649.00-5 Nights - €710.00
- One 8-Bed Holiday Home (Sleeps up to 16 people 7 rooms have a double bed in each room and one room would have 2 single beds)-2 Nights - €629.00-3 Nights - €739.00-4 Nights - €849.00-5 Nights - €959.00
Other Hotels within travelling distance include the following. Dial +353 instead of 0 if you are calling from abroad:
Lakeside 061-376122 Ballina
County Arms 057- 912123 Birr
Castleoaks 061-377666 Castleconnell
Kilmurray lodge 061-331133 Castletroy
Castletroy park 061-335566 Castletroy
The Anner 0504-21799 Thurles
Templemore Arms 0504-31423 Templemore
There are also a variety of delightful Bed & Breakfast accommodations and holiday rentals in the area and you will find a full list of these places on the following websites:
Pat Sheehan’s Hillview in the Silvermines http://www.silverminesbb.com/ - 4 double rooms, but only 2 left as of Feb 2016.
http://www.silversprucelodge.com (Mucklin, Dolla, Silvermines)
http://www.baylyfarm.ie/ +353 67-31499
http://www.willowbrook.ie/ +353 67-31558
http://www.andysnenagh.com/ +353 67-32494 email@example.com
http://www.abbeyview.ie/ +353 67-41554 / +353 86-0533543
http://www.ashleypark.com/ +353 67-38223
http://williamsferry.com/ +353 67-31118
http://www.maryvillebandb.com/ +353 67-32531
http://www.ormondhotel.ie/ - 10 en-suite rooms; some noise possible from nightclub at weekends (bring ear plugs just in case)
Avondale +353 67-31084
HI B +353 67-31253
Otway Lodge +353 67-34133
Claremount House +353 67-43627
Lough Derg House firstname.lastname@example.org
Shannon Breeze B&B in Ballina currently has 3 rooms available - contact Phyll or Noel Bugler +353 87 280 7655 or email@example.com
What will the weather be like?
Summer in Ireland is characterised by long days and short nights. In August, sunrise will be about 5am and sunset about 10pm. Average August temperatures are 19°C (66°F) during the day and 12°C (54°F) at night, so it can get chilly in the evenings (bring a sweater). With a bit of luck we will have good weather and a lot of sunshine, but be prepared for wet weather by packing rain gear and an umbrella.
How do I get around?
Most places within Nenagh town are very close to each other and you can easily walk between different locations in 5-10 minutes. However, local taxi companies and individual taxi drivers are available for travelling to places outside Nenagh and these can best be ordered by phoning them directly in advance to book your trip:
- Premier cabs ... +353 86 810 9247
- Nenagh cabs ... +353 67 33186
- M & M Cabs ... +353 67 33720
- Tom Clifford (Ballinaclough) ... +353 67 34506
- Johnny's Cabs (Gortlandroe) ... +353 67 34518
- Premier Cabs (Ballycommon) ... +353 67 24053
- Area Travel (Silvermines) ... +353 86 266 4060
- John Cahill (Ardcroney) ... +353 67 38 179
- John Torpey (Borrisokane) ... +353 67 27 163
- Edward Younge (Toomevara) ... +353 67 26 229
In addition, local people will be on hand with their own transportation and a car pool system will be organised for some of the trips.
Where can I find general information about Nenagh & the surrounding areas?
Check out the following links:
Where can I find info on things to do & tourist attractions?
Simply visit our Things To Do page.
Have a great trip!